7/13/10

Spontaneous Rant: Top Ten Worst Yaoi Cliches!

I felt like doing something a little out-of-the-ordinary to break the usual pattern of things, so I've decided to spontaneously list the Top Ten Yaoi Cliches! That's right, a concrete list of all those little things you see popping up in countless yaoi mangas. We're talking 'oh my gawd, seriously' moments that make you wonder just how many authors/artists have fallen for such cheap plot devices/lines.
Well, without further ado, here they are (with pics)!

#10 - Someone who's not the seme is about to kiss the uke! Quick, kiss him first!
CLEARLY THAT WILL SOLVE EVERYTHING!

# 9 - Whoa, I just remembered that we were childhood friends! That would explain our hitherto inexplicable closeness!


# 8 - I have loads of money, so no one would even think of pressing charges (for harrassment, rape, sex slaves, a child prostitution ring...)!


# 7 - I was made for you! You are my DESTINY!


# 6 - No, we're actually not related by blood...
... You wanna do it?

# 5 - I'm just gonna wash your back/massage your shoulders/do acupuncture on you... I swear.


# 4 - I think... I like you too. SEX TIME!


# 3 - You raped me and it made me fall in love with you! ZOMG!
# 2 - I look ten, but I'm actually a twenty-five-year-old (teacher)!

# 1 - I'm not gay, I just like to have sex with guys!


Yep. Pretty sad, aren't they? But they're the worst cliches that we, as readers of yaoi, expect to see in our manga. One day, I hope to find a yaoi that incorporates every single one of these cliches into it's no-doubt hideous plot structure. We may only wait, and hope.
(Mangas used were 'Take Me to Heaven', 'Barefoot Waltz', 'Successful Man', 'Tokyo Renaikitan', 'Successful Man', 'Koi no Tsubo', 'Love Seeker', 'Little Romance', 'Gakuen Heaven', and 'Embracing Love' respectively.)

1 comment:

  1. I also hate it when the uke looks like a girl. I mean, if I didn't wan to read a mangá with two MEN then I'd just read a shoujo! Geez...

    ReplyDelete

Followers