7/7/10

Review 59: My Voice

Art: 8
Plot: 8
Characters: 8
Sex: 7.5

Youka Nitta once again features... guess.... show business. To be more specific, this time it centers around the voice-acting industry as opposed to the AV and movie industry in Embracing Love. And this time, the sex doesn't happen until about the 200th page, which... takes forever. Sigh. I never thought I'd say this, but the relationship progression is far too slow in this yaoi.

Basic plot summary: Amateur voice-actor gets a role alongside an expert and finds out they were in a play together as children - but the play affected them in drastically different ways and turned them into highly different people. Somehow they still end up sexing it up, probably due to the fact that one of them is drunk and the other is just too tired to fight him off. Really.

The art is standard Youka Nitta work, so it's fairly pleasing to the eye. Unfortunately, I didn't particularly like the expressions in this one. They seemed very predictable and 'usual' manga expressions, not like in some of my favored artists' stuff.

The plot is suitably well-done but unfortunately lengthy. There are tons of points where I thought to myself, 'Is this really a yaoi, or is this a seinen piece on the lives of voice-actors?' When you question something like that, you know it's a rough read to get through. Sadly, though the portrayal of the voice-acting business was actually interesting for me, I still can't give the plot more than an average score due to how very tiring it was.

The characters are a toss-up. On one hand they seem quite in depth, but on the other hand they're very predictable at the same time, and I don't really like any of them that much. So I'm gonna have to give it just an 'okay'.

The sex was rather lame. First of all, the idea of two guys sleeping in a bed together just because one of them couldn't catch a cab is SO overdone. Secondly, the one guy making a move in said situation felt super out of character and just random. And then the actual sex... was just stupid. Mr. Initiator was all like, 'gimme some sugar!' and the other guy was like, 'don't wanna...' but of course he didn't protest very much, because then there wouldn't have actually been sex.
... Yaoi can be so ridiculous.

All in all, 31.5/40. Hrrrmmmm.

Recommendation: If you're seriously interested in the voice-acting industry - I know I am - then you might be able to get through this. But you might not. It's just that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers