7/19/10

Review 113: Competent Chairman

Art: 7
Plot: 7
Characters: 6
Sex: 6

... All right. So I knew something was up when I saw that older guy on the cover, but I hoped, just once, that my instincts weren't right. They were. Apparently, the two lovers in this manga are aged around 20 and 50. Oh. My. Gawd. It seems just... wrong. I mean, we see celebrity matchups like this all the time, but we never see them all lovey-dovey or... having sex.

The art is all right. But... the guy who's supposed to be like 48 looks around 20 instead. Hmm. If you're going to take on something like lovers with 30 years between them, at least give it the respect it deserves. As Mr. Freeman would say, the best anime - and hence, manga - is made with sincerity. The way the art shrouds the truth makes me not take this seriously at all.

Plot is pretty lame, not a lot going on. It's basically a standard 'oh, I'm not worthy of you!' 'neither am I!' type deal. Except one of them is supposed to be way older.

Character-wise, the older man doesn't even have the maturity he ought to. This renders the whole idea of his age completely irrelevant. Baaaad character score.

I think I shouldn't have to mention the sex. Besides the fact that there's such a huge age difference, the older man is the uke and looks - and acts - like any 20-year-old uke would. There is no sign that anything is different from the usual yaoi. What a half-assed attempt at something 'forbidden'.

26/40.

Recommendation: Don't waste your time on this one.

1 comment:

  1. It just occurred to me that someone might think I was referencing Morgan Freeman here, when I actually meant Crispin Freeman. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete

Followers