7/9/10

Review 65: Barefoot Waltz


Art: 8
Plot: 7
Characters: 7
Sex: 7
Oh, Japanese pretty-boys with violin fetishes! Lovely. Well, this isn't really a manga I enjoy, but it's not terrible, either. It revolves around Takumi, who used to play violin but gave it up, Gui, his lover, and the violin prodigy who comes to play at their school, Sachi Inoue. The plot also includes a typical school play and plenty of high-school drama. Joy.
The art is pretty good, but not amazing. It's suitable for this type of yaoi.
The plot, as mentioned above, isn't that great. It's very predictable and lacks intensity. There's not even an 'omygawd' moment. It's like there's no climax, per se. No rising action, no conflict, no nothing. Reminds me of the phrase for yaoi once again... 'no plot, no resolution, no point'. However, I have high standards, so I expect yaoi to have some sort of 'plot'. But Barefoot Waltz, penned by Gotoh, does not... (I love Seuss.)
The characters are so watery I can't identify with them at all. They remind me of live-action drama characters, which is ironic because I'm pretty sure I've actually watched part of the Takumi-kun drama series (Barefoot Waltz is part two in the Takumi-Kun series). Regardless, the characters just don't have much appeal to me for whatever reason.
The sex is not explicit and always cuts off before any steaminess. Kind of like a certain young-adult novel I refuse to name.
All in all, 29/40. Why does that score sound so familiar?
Recommendation: If you, too, have a violin fetish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers