5/1/10

A Short Note on Yaoi as a Genre

This blog was made to critique yaoi. Naturally, the definition of 'yaoi' is very important to me, and when I see so many people misusing it... well, I figure it has to be set right again. There are many, many posts from others like me, correcting those who use the term incorrectly, but it still happens.

If you're interested in the etymology, read on (if not, skip to the next paragraph). The term 'yaoi' is actually an acronym that comes from the Japanese phrase, 山 なし、 おち なし、 いみ なし。 [YAma nashi, Ochi nashi, Imi nashi], which translates roughly to 'no plot, no resolution, no point'. It has been joked about, however, to have come from a different phrase, 止めて、 お尻 が 痛い!。 [YAmete, Oshiri ga Itai!], or 'stop, my ass hurts!' I find them both equally amusing.

'Yaoi' is classified as explicit and sexual romance between two males. 'Shounen-ai' is used to describe male-male romance that doesn't involve sex. 'Slash' is a word that means male-male relationships in a broad way and doesn't define any specific parameters. There are many other definitions related to these, but I think the ones here are sufficient for now.

Maybe I'll make a habit of this. Definitions of the Week, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers